I was even going to write about it. Announce to the world that I felt great. I was going to shout about how fantastic a really good lipstick is, how it can make a girl feel so BOMBTASTIC when maybe she's felt a little low lately. How important a perfectly lined eye can be when you need to know that with a little focus and some extra concealer handy you can do anything. How lovely a little zany curl can be because it reminds us that we're different and that's okay and most of the time it's actually pretty great.
I took some shameless selfies and loved every second. I posted one and then moved on with my life. But then I thought "Y'know what?? I deserve a second selfie post. Why? Because I wanna'. People may roll their eyes or be like 'staaahp' but I will smile and love that a day can exist where a girl loves two pictures of herself." Think about it.
And then a person from a whole lifetime ago decided to post a comment that made me feel bad about the awesome chick I thought I had been that day. It doesn't matter who it was or what was said. I started no wars about it because why would I? I just quietly cried and took down my second selfish selfie in shame. Shame. I felt ashamed.
I felt ashamed by the comment. Who saw it? Why did the poster decide to post it? What about me or my page or my face made them so perturbed that they felt the need to leave a comment that could only be perceived as hurtful?
I felt ashamed by my reflection. Was this one person just the only person who had the guts (nerve) to tell me I shouldn't have felt great about myself that day?
But mainly I felt ashamed of myself because I let some person on the internet make me feel low when I knew good and well I looked great that day. I glowed like a damn goddess and I don't care if anybody thinks different because I DIDN'T THINK DIFFERENT AND IF I'M HAPPY WITH ME THEN THAT IS ALL THAT FUCKING MATTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It isn't about makeup or clothing or 'likes' or any of that. It's loving the you that you are. It's a hard thing to do all of the time because we're human. It's hard to get up and look in the mirror and stare at your ass and wish it was smaller. It's hard to go to school and take a test and struggle struggle struggle while the person next to you breezed through it with a smile. It's hard to find examples that capture how hard life can be sometimes because we all know it's hard so we don't even need the examples we just know! Y'know?
It's about coming to peace with who you are every single day. Some days will be rough and you may just be fussy and that's cool because tomorrow is a new day. Some days you will wake up floating with sunshine pouring out of your butt and you will feel so stinking fabulous and on those days JUST OWN IT AND LOVE IT AND GIGGLE AND LAUGH AND TAKE AS MANY FREAKING SELFIES AS YOU WANT AND PEOPLE WILL BE PEOPLE AND SOMETIMES THAT MEANS HATEFUL AND IT'S OKAY TO BE HURT BUT NEVER BE BROKEN AND NEVER LET THEM TAKE THIS DAY AWAY FROM YOU BECAUSE YOU FUCKING EARNED IT. WE ALL DO.
No shame.
xoxoxoxo
-Kelsey


No comments:
Post a Comment